Search This Blog

Monday, February 24, 2014

didn't hit it out of the ballpark

That is a saying Candy told me Bill once said about a meal she had made. I'm sure the reason she remembers it is that it rarely happened. She is an excellent cook and obviously Bill was a diplomat if that is the worst he every commented on something she had cooked. But we all have our little failures. I guess it is time to share a couple of mine. Lesson learned...eggplants aren't their best in February...eggplants must be their best when grilled.


There is no other ingredient to hide bad flavor. These look ok but they were terrible. When I cut into it I should have known. Flesh was not white and firm. I can't wait for local farmer's markets to open.
 
This next one sounded good. I love the ingredients but it was best poured down the sink.
 


It was an artichoke and white bean soup. I love both those ingredients but just the two of them needed help. I read lots of comments and suggestions to help it but after tasting it, I couldn't face the pale green porridge.
 
The last failure was bad. I didn't even photograph it. Candy calls it tuna surprise. The surprise is it wasn't tuna. I cajoled Candy, Lucy and Mary Grace into tasting it by saying it was tuna salad. It was sardine salad. Now you must know, apparently sardines are a super food (omega 3 and all that). I had the little can for a while in the cupboard because I was afraid of it. All the food bloggers are in love with these oily little fish. I followed Kath Eats Real Food's recipe. Ugh. Just not feeling it. I didn't even photo it. Lucy suggested I even throw away the bowl. Remember the scene in the movie Big when Tom Hanks ate caviar? That was about it. Ok  here is some delicious food.
 
If you want to get people to come to a church committee meeting, serve Pizza Shack pizza right after church. Ryan and Mary Grace graciously donated the pizza. People not even on the committee stopped by (Sophie and Paul) and Paul was not even at church...He was working on magazine deadline and came up to get his pizza. It is that good.
 
 
Here are leftovers.
 
Here are leftovers as my breakfast. Never let Ryan know if you microwave it. Heat it up in the oven!! 
 


 

1 comment:

  1. We all have our failures in the kitchen. I have poured a lot down the drain. Truman was a saint with not complaining. If something was not so good he would say maybe we wont have this again or say nothing at all. I know everyone enjoyed ands appreciated MG bring the pizza. So nice of them to donate it. Was the meeting successful? Mom

    ReplyDelete