Search This Blog

Monday, January 27, 2014

taking it easy...in a big way...

This trip evolved over a few days from a friend visiting here from New Orleans to a girl trip TO New Orleans. Ryan was hunting ducks so Mary Grace came along with Candy, Lucy and I early Saturday morning. After a weird breakfast at a Subway along the way (they really should stick to subs), we arrived at our cute apartment. One of Candy's friends daughters lives in the front apartment and the landlady rents out 2 other apartments. Here is Mary Grace at the gate.

 
        We stayed upstairs. Take a look at the front though. Colleen's apartment was fabulous.


It was just one block off Magazine so it was quite easy to walk to shops.
 


We were greeted by her cat. Isn't she pretty.
 

We were starving so Matthew directed us to this lunch spot. He was right . yum
 

determined to be healthy...split pea soup and half a turkey on rye. Honestly the best split pea ever. Did some walking and looking. That evening we met Sophie and Paul for dinner. They were coincidently there for Paul's birthday. No pics... Next morning  Lucy and Candy slept in. MG and I are both early risers and decided to walk until we smelled coffee. It wasn't far before her coffee nose picked up the scent. We found the perfect local diner.
 
Can you just feel the atmosphere? We ordered an All American and split it . Thank goodness we did.
 

Best hashbrowns in a long time. Crunchy but tender. Coffee...ahhh Look at those grits...
Gathered the Woolie girls and headed for the French Quarter. Matthew would not even accompany us. We were such tourists.
 
 
Car parked ready to go. When lunch time came around we ate at a corner café near Maspero's. We had not patience for waiting. It was pretty good, if touristy.
 
Oyster poboy. Not healthy but delicious.

 

 
Mardi Gras slaw was good.
While we were waiting for our food, I heard music...strange music. I walked outside to hear and see. It was a calliope! As I'm sure you know, it is a steam powered musical instrument usually used at carnivals and circuses. A man was playing it on the riverboat docked on the river. It was enchanting.
 

The steam filled the sky with every note. As I turned to my right, this was the view.
 
 
You have to love this city. More walking and Lu and Candy gave out. Candy was already working the plague that was to come. Mary Grace and I (still unsick) left them to nap and we continued on.
 
 
love these things. Went to a huge antique mall and scored this.
 

with all my healthy eating, I use a lot of lemon juice. I love this old deco juicer. Thirsty, we found a Greek place
 

I would be lying if I said that I had not had one of these sort of everywhere. Where else but NO do they ask if you want it in a go cup?
 

Sorry, Mom. So the others arise and join us for poboys.
 
 
 

Matthew and his Mom joined us
 
 
 
 
 
A bit of sleep and headed home, we fortified with the traditional breakfast.
 

our last shot of NO
 

 
Here is my favorite shot of the trip. I love winter in New Orleans.
 
 



 
 

 
 

 
 
 




1 comment: