Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

continuing food war coverage

...so now I find out not only do I need to eat less and healthier...I also need to eat CLEAN. I already have to make sure the cat box is clean, my house is clean, my car is clean and make sure Ed has clean boxers for work. Now I have to make sure my diet is clean? Well thankfully I have already made great strides toward that goal anyway. It just means eating whole foods, not processed. Since I've added in tons of fresh fruits, veggies and whole grains I'm doing ok. However sometimes food that sounds great may be a sneaky unclean guy. I was enjoying my new cereal feeling all clean and green.

 
Flip to the ingredient list as I am wont to do
 

apparently vanilla clusters don't occur in nature. Nor do fiber twigs or honey puffs. Ok as a whole the ingredients aren't too bad but they are processed to within an inch of their life. Here is the result of the arctic shopping trip. Oh as I write this it is still 19 degrees. (Ashley I know that seems downright balmy to you!)
 

became this
 

trust me, they became brown and lovely later. That is a sweet potato, turnip and snow peas too. So in the quest for whole grain products I like, I may have found a knight in shining armor.
 
 
Whenever I saw the term white wheat on a product, I thought it was some oxymoronish way of tricking us into thinking it was healthy. Not so. White wheat is an actual legit type of wheat. Some refer to it as albino wheat. Anyway it can remain whole and still seem like all purpose flour. I'm going to try some baking and see.
 
Anyway it is a learning process for me. It is interesting to discover how many other bloggers have been down this path before me.
 



 

4 comments:

  1. I am coming over to eat with you. St. Catherine's does not read labels. But I do--so I fix my own a lot. Glad to read about the flour. I will look for it. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Briony has a website called Freeze Your Way fit. She uses that flour in everything she makes that needs flour. I've bought some, too. Not 100% the same, but almost!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and plain Greek yogurt is good drizzled with honey or agave. I like to add chopped walnuts, too. You have to find the right brand of yogurt that you like, though. Some are just gross to me, too tangy, I guess. Stony field farms is good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 19 degrees is still unpleasant anywhere you are...
    We use white whole wheat, too. And like Whitney said, greek yogurt is a great substitute for almost anything: eggs (when baking), cream, oil, mayo, sour cream...

    ReplyDelete