Search This Blog

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Italian done healthy

Craving a bit of warm comfort food, I thought of meatballs. The Italian method for making meatballs is to cook them IN the sauce. I started by soaking a bit of oatmeal in milk, adding one crumbled whole wheat bread slice, egg and spices.

 
The mixture is soft so have your sauce ready and bubbling. I made smallish ones, about the size of a golf ball. Place them gently in the hot sauce. I added a half an onion unchopped also. Simmer 20-30 minutes.
 
 
They have so much flavor cooked this way. Whole wheat vermicelli of course.
 

Since Ed doesn't like leftovers. I know, its crazy. I froze half the meatballs separately on foil then wrapped them up when done for later. Just like having a bag from the grocery store, which is what I used to do. I am finally getting out today. Have a job this afternoon, if only for an hour or so. I even have a kitchen redo consult tomorrow. Tight budget, but sometimes that is even more fun and challenging. More later.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I just saw Rachel Ray do the same thing with her meatballs. She said they were so much more tasty but very tender so you have to simmer them gently, Right? They looked so good. MOM

    ReplyDelete