Search This Blog

Saturday, March 15, 2014

that makes scents...

...as in good smells. I've heard that the sense of smell is our most primitive sense, linked directly to our old brain function. I believe that is true. It only takes a whiff of certain things to transport me back in time through an old memory. The smell of my mom's night cream as she kissed me goodnight, the smell of food cooking at the fair, the smell of the plastic of a new doll all pull me straight back to the past. Here is one of my strong memory smells.


Carolina jasmine. Jan and I saw this on a fence during our walk. It reminds me of visiting Greenville with my friend Jennie. Her grandmother lived there and we would go stay with her. It was an old house in downtown Greenville. Huge trees towered over the sidewalk lined streets. They even had a golf cart we got to drive around town. On one of my visits the jasmine was blooming. The smell permeated the air all around and especially on the "sleeping porch". This was a screened porch with real furniture on it, even a TV. For breakfast their cook made little tiny sweet potato biscuits about the size of a half dollar. We ate at the huge dining table and Mama Jody (Jennie's grandmother) never came downstairs unless she was fully dressed and made up. Needless to say I was impressed. When I came back home Mom and I tried to make those biscuits. They were never quite as good. What a good memory.
 
Also saw these tulips on our walk.
 
 
Ok here is my stab at a healthy pizza.
 
 
Whole wheat crust
 


Turkey pepperoni, turkey sausage, mushrooms and on my side, jalapeno. It was pretty good. It was no Pizza Shack pizza of course.



1 comment:

  1. Smells do have a great part of memory. I have a few too. Your pizza looks good. I think you are doing a great job of research execution. MOM

    ReplyDelete