Search This Blog

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Bedroom...little girl heaven

Ok...we are getting close to the inner sanctum. Let's leave the bathroom and turn right. The master bedroom. I only have two true memories of my granddaddy. One is of the watermelon in the backyard and the other is seeing him in his pajamas and ill with heart disease on the living room sofa. So these memories are post Hugh. The bedroom is dominated by the huge Art Deco style cannonball bedroom suite.
 

Those bedposts seemed huge to me. The vanity was the crowning jewel of the bedroom set. It had a huge mirror with wood beaded trim. It was very low and had a padded stool to sit on to gaze in the mirror. On either side was a rounded front drawer that held magical things. Things like nylons, scarves, rain bonnets and empty perfume bottles. These were added to make things smell good.

 
And let's don't forget the magical gold jewelry box that when you opened the top, a drawer opened.
 

After many years of heavy use for dress up at my mom's house, it belongs to Ivy. Here are some of the original earrings.

 
 I actually wore many of these in the 90's when bigger was better.
 

Big hair, big earrings.
 
 My grandmother worked in a downtown drugstore. In those days that was an elegant job. She worked in the old Petroleum building downtown. She called the customers her "oil men" . She sold them gifts for their wives and girlfriends. They loved her and reciprocated with lovely gifts to her. The perk to me was perfume bottles. She saved the pretty sample bottles for us girls. So sitting at her vanity was a look into a glamorous world.  Tiny lipstick samples, tiny perfumes bottles , it was all magical. I sat there many times with my baby cousins letting them brush my 70's long hair. I loved it.
 
  Oh, and in the closet were pointy high heels (so out in the 70's and 80's) , purses and let's don't forget the mink stole. I wore it at Mary Grace and Ryan's wedding.
 
 
There was also a big room sucking window fan in this room. Beautiful dresser that matched the bed and vanity.


 All reside in Jan's guest bedroom now. Guess I'll break here before I go on to "my" room. Jack's old room became the guest room in my day. Fun!

1 comment:

  1. Another favorite. I spied one of my watches in the jewelry box. I loved the shape. Who is that cute guy with you? Oh yes he is still cute. MY THAT OLD FURNITHRE WAS BEAUTIFUL!!. I am glad Jan rescued it and brought it back to it's original glory and beyond, and thank you for bring it back to memory, MOM

    ReplyDelete