Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Backyard

As long as we are gazing out the back window let's take a trip out there. The door leads us to another set of steps. As a kid these seemed enormous. Huge hydrangeas flourish on either side of the steps. Beyond those to the left hibiscus tower. I've heard that Grandaddy used to capture bees in the huge blossoms to the grandkids delight to hear them buzzing inside the bloom. Under the massive tree with low spreading branches sat the picnic table. I remember watermelon being cut there. The yard was divided with a line of shrubs and canna lilies into two sections. I was too young to appreciate what all her gardens contained but I knew they were all beautiful. Mamaw provided the flowers for services and events at her church, so I know she must have grown fabulous flowers. I would be remiss if I did not mention the garage. It had a metal door that swung out and up. When that door opened an earthy smell rolled over you. The floor was plain dirt. Shelves held gardening supplies, tools and unused furniture. One piece of furniture there was an old wooden rocker. Story had it that someone had given it to Granddaddy in exchange for some cabinet work he did. I guess it was never used until Mom reclaimed it and "antiqued" it (Red Devil kit). I got it after that and stripped and recovered it.  Still love it.
 

Another aspect of the house that impressed me was the crawl space beneath the conventional foundation. Her house had a little higher space than ours and I liked to explore it. One time I found an entire rat skeleton preserved on a board. Kudos to my mom for letting me take my find home, and even to school for show and tell! Very gutsy Mom. I'm sure you had to have been horrified.

3 comments:

  1. Still on the true track!! I remember the rat skeleton Ugh! You were so proud of it . I wonder what the teacher thought of me? Today she would have said I did a good thing --supporting my child. Back then, I doubt it. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those teachers back then were old battle axes. Scary, to kids AND parents

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that where dad had a racetrack of some sort...under the house?? I can still smell that old garage...I LOVED going in there and plundering but was too young to appreciate all the stuff housed in it. I remember many times wandering around the back back yard as I called it. One time she n I dug up potatoes she had planted. I thought that was so cool. I also remember a big bird bath back there and filling it up over and over.

    ReplyDelete