Search This Blog

Friday, February 6, 2015

How do you like your spaghetti?

So, I decided to make spaghetti out of a few little bits of frozen sauces and tomatoes I had. Started with turkey, onions and a little bell pepper. My mom's spaghetti was always my favorite and I think I got close. I once asked her about the flavor of her recipe and she revealed a secret ingredient...catsup. Yep, a generous squirt adds a little sweetness and tang.
 
 
She always made it in a big ole iron skillet. I used the one I got from my Mamaw Brown. Sadly it does not fit very flat on my glass top stove. Ryan says there is no way to fix it and he would know. Mom always mixed the spaghetti (before it became pasta), in with the sauce. This how I remember spaghetti at church MYF dinners. She always put in a can of button mushrooms for Linda.

 
I got the flavor pretty close. Ed's mom always mixed theirs and baked in a pan topped with cheddar cheese, so that is how my kids experienced spaghetti. I can still remember Jan coming home from college (from sophisticated Starkville) and telling us that was not the Italian way to serve spaghetti. She pointed out to us country bumpkins that sauce and pasta are served separately.

2 comments: