Search This Blog

Friday, July 10, 2015

Big things and little things.

Big things...like a funeral for a beloved Aunt. We had a wonderful celebration of Aunt Irene's long rich life. Bob's eulogy was so moving and beautiful. I have heard several people lately in different circumstances mentioning the passing of the Greatest Generation. But as I looked at the Ellis family mourning and celebrating together, I realized something. They aren't gone at all. They will live on forever in our lives. I can see them in the actions of their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. I see it in the granddaughter guiding her Mamaw's steps. I see it in a drawing of a wolf by an 8 year old great grandson's that says "I'll love you forever". I see it in a beautiful video created by a granddaughter in-law,which captured a life well lived. I see it in the way each generation loves their family and treats friends like family. I see it in the way each new in-law is welcomed in and becomes another piece of the fabric of the Ellis clan. No, they are not gone we are living proof of that.
 
Now, the small things.
 
 
A waitress at a favorite restaurant knows that Candy loves the heel of their fabulous bread best.

 
Ed had on new crocs. I guess I didn't see them because they were camouflaged. Toby pointed them out.

 
Since I am easily distracted, Lucy is always saying to me "Squirrel". She bought me a little tiny on for my dashboard. I asked her what if he distracts me and I have a wreck. That won't happen because I also have a little Ganesh statue on there. And he is the Hindu god who removes all obstacles from our path.

 
Look at the package it came in ...from Thailand. Oooh that makes me want tandoori chicken from Surin.

 
And when this...

 
...becomes this.

 
And this stingray charm from Ivy and Trip. We met for lunch and they told me all about their trip to Chicago to see the Grateful Dead concert. It sounded so fun. This little guy was from the Shedd aquarium.

1 comment:

  1. Your comments on the Ellis family made my heart swell. Yes we do live on even though we have passed. What a wonderful feeling. HOW WONDERFUL THAT YOU CAN EXPRESS YOURSELF SO WELL. It is a gift. MOM

    ReplyDelete