Search This Blog

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Freshman year...press start

How does every good journey begin? With great food of course. So Candy and Lucy loaded up their vehicles with Lucy's stuff, picked me up and we headed off. Oh stopped for lunch 3 miles down the road at Biaggi's. Oops, well we didn't want to make something at home. Now on the road to Mobile and Springhill college. Checked into the hotel and had our favorite Mobile resident, Medea to come over and guide us. Naturally that led us to one of her favorite local places.
 
 
Butch Cassidy's has great burgers, wings, fries and the like. I made a fool out of myself, eating like I had just gotten out of food jail.
 
 
 
 Two for one appetizers? Hot wings? Hand dipped onion rings? What else could I do? I did only order a mini burger. But what do you think a mini burger in a place like this looks like? A lot like a big ole burger.
 
 
 
The next morning we pulled up to her dorm front entrance and were greeted by the girls volleyball team and the boys basketball team. Everyone pitches in to help and welcome the new freshmen. In 10 minutes our cars were unloaded and deposited in her 3rd floor dorm room. I was impressed.
 

Just getting started.
 

The little hammer set my mom gave her came in handy.
 

Here is the room pre-Target trip. We added some pillows, lamp and a few things. Oh, and her roommate seems like a great match for Lucy. She is from Delaware!
 

The campus was gorgeous. Here is the chapel. The school was founded in 1830. I just loved that there were palm trees everywhere mixed in with those majestic coastal live oaks.
 

The inside was breathtaking.
 

Cool old cemetery where the priests and brothers are buried.
 

Candy met a big man on campus.
 
 
It was so hot and humid that we scampered from air conditioned building to air conditioned building.


 
Yes, a few tears were shed...but only a few. We had sweated so much that we had none left. I left feeling happy for her and satisfied that she is in the perfect place.









1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful place!! The Chapel is lovely. Happy to see my little hammer made it to College too Hope he is a big help. I know Lucy will make the most of her new experience. MOM

    ReplyDelete