Search This Blog

Friday, May 8, 2015

all around the mulberry bush...

...ok it is really a tree. Have y'all ever seen a mulberry tree? Mary Grace and Ryan's house belonged to a teacher at MC at one time. He was a bit of a botanist and planted some unusual things in their yard. One is this mulberry tree. It has fruit now.
 
 
They look like across between a blackberry and a raspberry. They taste about like that too, a little tart though.

 
Dupree likes to eat them. I fed some to the chickens today. Some liked them, some did not.

 
This one did!

 
Here they are competing with Dupree. I told MG she should make jelly , she said...no.


2 comments:

  1. I have heard of the mulberry tree, but have never seen one. Those chickens are still funny to me. I am with M.G. on making jelly. Been there and did it too, but too easy to pick up little packets in the Cyber now. I used to make plumb jelly. Lot of work. But pear preserves were worth the work and I made them a lot. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily and I made mulberry jam from the berries off of the tree in her back yard a couple of summers ago. It was SO MUCH WORK to cut each of the stems off with scissors. I will never make mulberry jam from fresh berries again. It didn't even taste good enough to merit the amount of work it took.
    They were really good with yogurt and granola though!

    ReplyDelete