Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Beloved author comes to town

I was so excited to hear that an author our book club really loves, Lee Smith, would be coming  to town for a new lecture series. An event was created and endowed by a book club that formed as a result of a class at Millsaps on Eudora Welty. They dedicated this project to the memory of a member who passed away. What an honor. This was the first in the annual series. I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted as we entered the Welty house property, by a friend and BUMC member who is a member of the sponsoring book club.
With threats of rain, the weather cooperated and turned into the type of day that makes us glad to live in Mississippi. Authors who speak here are all influenced by EW in some way.  Lee Smith was delightful, so down to earth and extremely funny. She had us laughing and tearing up throughout her lecture.
 
The birds were singing, a warm breeze was blowing and camellias bloomed all around us in the upper garden. It was magical.
 
 
Lee explained in a very amusing story how hearing EW speak at her college, had convinced her to write about what she knows. And I for one am grateful for that. Her tales of ordinary small towns and Appalachia are a blend of comedy and tragedy.

 
Had to take a pic of this oxalis border. It is like the one I described at my Mamaw's house.


 
Beautiful southern menu. These were accompanied by cheese straws, that familiar old cheese ring recipe filled with strawberry sauce and brownie bites.

 
Here we are on the garden steps. I had just purchased a book. Here she is.

 
The character in one of her books, Fair and Tender Ladies, had a main character named Ivy Rowe. I loved the name Ivy so much I used it for daughter number 3. I changed the middle name to Rose. I bought a copy of the book and had Lee sign it.


 

2 comments:

  1. The afternoon was idyllic. Lee Smith was delightful and so real. I had the opportunity to ask her the background of my favorite book, Fair and Tender Ladies. Her answer was so moving. She has met many trials in her life but has persevered with the help of the strong women in her life. She honors that strength in this very special book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you and Bev had a good time. It was nice to meet someone you admire. MOM

    ReplyDelete