Search This Blog

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Jill's first

 

And she did a great job! We read a Barbara Kingsolver book that involved Monarch butterflies. We were greeted on this beautiful springlike day by this. The springlike day in February fit perfectly with the message in the book which dealt with climate change. 

 

Pansies at her entrance 

 

Butterflies were everywhere. 


Jonquils are always an early harbinger. 

 

We opted for brunch to accommodate schedules. It was all so good. Somehow I cut out the fact that there were butterflies on the china. Cheese grits and muffins are hiding behind the flowers. We all agreed we loved the book. 

On a romantic note, the 12th is our 34th anniversary. Ed took me to an elegant lunch. 

 

Ok...so it wasn't elegant but it certainly was good. I'm still wondering how kale got on my plate at Hamil's. And I still am not sure what that little fried bread pancake thing was. I got a bite of everything. 

 

This was homemade banana pudding. Ed got the ice cream and I am sure that it was from scratch too. 

 

It is quite the fascinating place. There were so many people there that we wondered where they all came from. Ed and I bought many of our antiques from her shop years ago when furnishing our new house. Looks like her family has kept the restaurant legacy going. I just remembered with a smile a time my friend, Amy and I sat down at a table and looked up and saw a pair of athletic socks pinned to the wall. They have lots of old local high school sports memorabilia as decor.  We had to move and find another table. Amy hates feet and anything related to them. So funny. 

2 comments:

  1. I think that's a hoe cake...kind of a cross between cornbread and a pancake. Sadly, Mama Hamil passed away a few weeks ago. I love that place and all the "memories" hanging around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM YUM, Both of your post of food look so good. I need to read that book. MOM

    ReplyDelete