Search This Blog

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Trip 35

Headed south this morning and ended up in Gulfport for lunch. 



We left rain behind to find sunshine at Felix’s. 



What better way to start that 1/2 oyster poboy and gumbo 



Stopped at the visitor center for info. 



That evening we settled in to the patio at Cuz’s in downtown Bay St. Louis. Finally figured out why none of the locals were enjoying the unexpected warm weather....biting black gnats. 



Grabbed our drinks and headed inside for the crawfish special. It was as good as it looks 



Back to the Hollywood hotel room for great sunset from our room. 



As I headed out yesterday I grabbed this book I’ve had awhile. Thought it would be relevant. I knew a lot about Walter Anderson but had never read this whole book. It is so sad how often artistic genius goes hand in hand with mental illness. 



The book consists of drawings and daily logs kept during the 40ish years he spent on and off the island. He felt compelled to capture or “realize” the subjects he saw. 




Found some of my old notes and visuals tucked in the pages from when I taught the relevance and similarities between Anderson and M.C. Escher. They both found beauty in the repeating patterns in nature. I was a pretty good teacher. 



Woke up to more great weather. 

1 comment: