Search This Blog

Saturday, February 5, 2022

It started with a book…



…and this is it. About 27 years or so a new couple moved into our neighborhood from Chicago. I saw them zipping in and out from work in their sporty cars. I had a 5 year old, a 3 year old and an infant. Oh and a very uncool brown minivan. I thought to myself, I don’t have time for another friend. Well we soon learned she was pregnant and I felt like I needed to step up to the plate. We had a few neighborly interactions and somehow discovered we were both readers. I offered her this book I had just read. It is very quirky about a woman who carries her dead husband’s head around in her car in a Tupperware lettuce container and talks to it. Fair enough test. If she likes it she is friendworthy. 
     We went on to read many books, take crazy trips, raise 5 kids together, raise many a glass and have more laughs than I could count. I could go on and on with anecdotes but for now I’ll end there. I’m so tired, tired to my soul but I’m happy she is out of pain and glad I shared that book. As she and I used to say..,more later. 




1 comment:

  1. WHAT A SWEET TRIBUTE TO OUR DEAR FRIEND. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND GRIEVE AS MUCH AS IT TAKES. MOM

    ReplyDelete