Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

More Sewanee

Here is the beautiful All Saint's Chapel at Sewanee. After Chris told us to take no pictures, I wasted no time snapping away.
 
 
It was gorgeous from end to end. I felt that this was such a holy space.

 
Candy and I just sat there weeping with emotion. You see, this honor that Christ received, The Order of the Gownsman, had also been given to his father and grandfather. I wish Bill could have been there to see it.

 
Loved this pin one of his fellow Angels was wearing. It says "This is what feminism looks like". Angels are like ambassadors and guides for events. We enjoyed seeing Chris filling his role.

 
Here he is pre event.

 
His mentor (and incidentally Bill's mentor) could not be there to give him his gown. One of the Deans stepped in to help. Smith (his mentor) gave Chris the gown he wore. It was very old and worn which is actually an honor .

 
Once they earn the gown, they can wear them to class. Proud Mom.

 
Also that day some people were given honorary degrees. Judy Woodruff, political correspondent, gave the address from this podium. I was sitting right there. I couldn't take a picture during the ceremony. She was great. Also honored was the professor on whom the book and movie, Dead Poets Society was based on.
 
 
Plaque on the wall in memorial to Chris' ancestor who was a founder of the college.

 
It was a beautiful day. That is Chris in the doorway of the chapel.

 
Check out the gown.

 
Very nice. A little piece came off of it and I tied it on my necklace as a rememberance.

 
And this was our view for the rest of the day. We struggled to keep up with him as he showed us around. More later and get ready for the cool cemetery.

1 comment:

  1. I struggled with tears too. Imagine what that whole weekend meant to Candy and Chris. I am sure Bill was there in spirit and was very proud of all of you. MOM

    ReplyDelete